Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Success! Kidney Transplant Surgery Performed

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 is my other birthday.


It's the day that I received a kidney transplant at NY-Presbyterian Columbia Medical Center with the help of Renewal of Life (http://www.life-renewal.org/).  For several years I've been suffering from polycystic kidney disease ("PKD"), an inherited genetic disease that causes cysts to grow on and in the kidneys, gradually reducing kidney function.  This is what PKD looks like.


Through my website (http://www.Kidney4Ellis.com) and my FaceBook campaign I was fortunate that a fabulous person came forth and decided to become my kidney donor.  Cheri Ruane, a 44-year-old mother of two from Somerville Massachusetts, found it in her heart to be an angel from heaven and donate a very good kidney to me. 

Cheri had the support of her husband Chris, and children Cooper and Casey.

This beyond-words wonderful gift will certainly extend my life greatly and return me to normal functionality.   Prior to the surgery I was in kidney failure, days away from dialysis.  But now my kidney function, by all accounts, is normal and hopefully will stay normal for decades.  Certainly I will be on a regimen of anti-rejection drugs and other medicines for the rest of my life. But I will live and I will have a good quality of life.

 

I am recovering at home for a couple of weeks, possibly more, before returning to work.

There are no words to express my gratitude to Cheri Ruane and her wonderful supportive family who made the rest of my life possible.

2 comments:

  1. Ellis, you're a great person with lots left to do in life. I'm so happy I could help.

    I feel like I've gained a family through this adventure. Your wife Renee has been an amazing supporter. Jason, Lauren, and Dara have all been so gracious and warm. I didn't expect to gain all of this by donating a kidney.

    I feel quite blessed myself.Looking forward to many kidneyversaries in the future.

    Your Kidney-in-law,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete